Wednesday 10 August 2016

Newspaper column 10 August 2016 - Looking back...

This week I thought I would focus on some of the things I said I would do during my campaign to be elected as your Member of Parliament, looking back over the last year.

One of the things I campaigned on was that should I be elected, I would represent your interests and be a strong voice for Mid-Cornwall in Westminster. As I often said I count myself to be a Cornishman first and a Conservative second.

It is clear that 6 Cornish Conservative MPs in a Conservative Government gives us a huge opportunity to work within the government to attract the investment we have lacked for so many years.

After many years of inaction by previous governments, soon after the General Election last year, the then Prime Minister made Cornwall the first rural area to be given greater devolved powers. This was something many people in Cornwall had been calling for and something I was delighted to be a part of delivering.

At the election some of the issues most often raised with me by local people were public transport, economic growth and Health and Social Care. The ‘Deal for Cornwall’ addresses some of these concerns by granting Cornwall greater say over things such as local transport, skills and economic development and the integration of health and social care services. This is not about more power just for Cornwall Council but for Cornwall as a whole.

As I am part of the party of Government, it is natural that most of the time I do agree with and vote to support Government motions, many of which are policies that were in our manifesto that I was elected on. However, when I think the Government has got it wrong, and proposes changes that I do not believe will be in the best interests of the people of mid-Cornwall, I will and have challenged them robustly to make the case for changes.

Earlier this year I was concerned, along with many of my colleagues representing rural areas, that Government proposals on local government funding would have widened the gap between already traditionally under-funded rural areas such as Cornwall, and metropolitan areas. This was unacceptable to me and I, along with all of my Cornish MP colleagues were very keen to stress this to Ministers.

This is something I would have rebelled against the Government over, and I was pleased that the Government listened and announced a transitional grant of £3m additional funding to Cornwall Council along with a commitment to a review with a vote next year. The Secretary of State also announced the Government will carry out a comprehensive review of the costs of delivering services, meaning that we will have the chance to definitively prove that it is simply more difficult and therefore more expensive to deliver similar services in rural areas compared to cities. This will give us the chance to back up our arguments with hard evidence and pave the way for establishing the fair system for Cornwall which we all deserve.

I am also pleased to have stood up against the Government against proposed changes to the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) benefit in this year’s Budget, as I was concerned at the impact these could have on some of the most vulnerable people in our society at a time when in the same Budget much was made of a tax cut to people earning a great deal more than the average wage in Cornwall. I did not think this was fair or right and therefore I could not support these changes and made it clear that I would not support a vote on them.  I was pleased the Government listened to my concerns, along with several of my colleagues and decided to drop these changes.

I also signalled my intent to rebel against proposed changes to tax credits, which were subsequently dropped, and did rebel against proposed changes to Sunday trading hours, which I felt would penalise small businesses, in a vote which the Government lost. I will continue to put the interests of the people of Mid-Cornwall first when it comes to my role as MP.

As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events