Wednesday 31 August 2016

Newspaper column 31 August 2016 - looking back at Summer Recess

This week’s column is my last before Parliament returns at the beginning of September. This summer’s Parliamentary Summer Recess has certainly been an eventful one and it has been great to be able to spend time here in Cornwall and get out and meet people and businesses across Mid-Cornwall.

I have visited communities across our constituency as well as attending numerous events. Thank you to all of those who I have met and have given me a warm welcome.

One of the major concerns has been the impact of the result of the EU referendum on Cornwall and I have spent time meeting with Cornwall Council as well as business leaders, including Newquay Airport, to listen to their views and concerns. I remain positive that we can secure a better future for Cornwall with the UK outside of the EU and will be doing all I can to secure the investment we need.
One major issue that became apparent in St Austell was the increase in anti-social behaviour in the town centre, which was highlighted to me by a number of residents and businesses as well as being raised in the local press. I have now met with the local town council, police and our Police and Crime Commissioner and am taking forward a number of issues, both locally and in Westminster, to seek to find longer term solutions to this issue.

I have also taken time to meet with local NHS representatives addressing some of the issues we face here in mid-Cornwall including dental health provision, community hospitals and mental health.
As part of this I spent time looking at mental health provision in and around Newquay. I have visited a number of facilities to see some of the excellent work that is currently taking place there as well as the challenges faced and understand what I can do to press the case for increased mental health provision for Cornwall going forward.

Across our constituency I have also done a great deal of work with South West Water, who I am working with to achieve a permanent solution to historic problems with sewage leaking in Fowey. It is also good to see the renovation work at the Yellowsands viewing platform at Pentire Esplanade in Newquay.

I have held a number of ‘Meet your MP’ events across Mid-Cornwall. These are events held in informal settings, such as a local pub, where people can come and see me without an appointment and talk about anything that they want. I was pleased to see excellent attendance at events in St Austell, Roche and St Stephen and look forward to holding more across the constituency throughout the year.

It has been a busy but enjoyable time, but next week Parliament returns and I will once again in in Westminster 4 days a week. Back in Parliament I will be continuing to meet with Ministers and make the case in Parliament to get the best deal for Cornwall following Brexit. Ahead of the Autumn Statement I will also be doing all I can to ensure we get the best outcome in the Government’s funding reviews for local government, schools and the Police, all areas where Cornwall has been traditionally poorly served by consecutive governments, where I believe myself and my Cornwall MP colleagues have a real chance to make a difference.

As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events