Wednesday 15 February 2017

My tribute to Tony Geake

On Monday we received the very sad news that one of our local community stalwarts had died and I feel it only proper that I pay tribute to Tony Geake.

Tony and his wife Margaret have given much of their lives to supporting and raising funds for our local hospice at Mount Edgcumbe. It is not over stating it to say that it is unlikely the hospice would even be here in our town if it wasn’t for the generosity and commitment of this special couple.

From the original gift of the land the hospice is built on, their legendary annual lunch by the lake event that they hosted, to their tireless fund raising efforts in so many ways, they really have become synonymous with the work of Cornwall Hospice Care.

Like so many local families mine owes an incredible debt of gratitude to the hospice and therefore to this special couple. Not only from my time as Mayor and now MP, but from our own family experience of my mother being cared for and finally passing away at the hospice, I know how very lucky we are to have this facility in our town.

I had the privilege of getting to know Tony in recent years through my involvement with supporting the hospice as it was my Mayoral charity. He truly was the finest example of what our town, and indeed Cornwall, as a whole, stands for. His generosity of heart, pride in our community and commitment to the cause coupled with his unassuming humility, stands as an example to us all.  He leaves behind an incredible legacy of community spirit.

I know he will be greatly missed by Margaret and the rest of the family and his many friends and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this time. But I know he will also be hugely missed by so many others in this town.

On behalf of our town and the countless people whose lives you touched – thank you Tony. Rest in peace.