Wednesday 8 February 2017

Newspaper column 8 February 2017 - The vote on Brexit

Last week MPs voted 498-114 to grant the Prime Minister the power to formally trigger Article 50, the process by which the United Kingdom will leave the European Union.

I am honoured to have been part of this historic vote by which, once the Bill has passed through all stages, the Prime Minister will be able to implement the instruction from the British people in formally starting the UK’s exit from the EU.

It was important to me to vote not just on behalf of the majority of residents in Mid-Cornwall who voted for Brexit in last year’s referendum, but also the majority of people across the country who voted to leave.

Although it is right to acknowledge the 48% of those who voted to remain, there also needs to be an acceptance that by granting a referendum we placed this decision in the hands of the British people. It would be undemocratic to now seek to thwart the implementation of this decision as some are seeking to do.

I am therefore pleased that MPs overwhelmingly voted for this Bill, although it was again a shame to see the Liberal Democrats failing to live up to their name, voting to defy the British People and frustrate the majority.

In fact, it was bizarre to hear the former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, who once said his Party was leading the calls for an EU Referendum, lead an attack on the people’s decision in the House of Commons last Tuesday. I suppose in his view Referendums are ok as long as, if you are unhappy with the result, you can keep demanding another one until you get what you want.

As a columnist in a leading daily paper said of Clegg, .… “[his] nine-minute contribution was one of the most nakedly dishonest speeches I have had the misfortune to hear in the Commons. The man is as shameless as a charity store shoplifter.”

Following the vote the Government published the long awaited White Paper on Brexit, which expanded on the Brexit Strategy points made by the Prime Minister earlier in the year. I have included a link to the White Paper on my website, which you can find below:


This week the Bill will go on to the committee stage, where various amendments are being tabled to delay or dilute us leaving the EU. I will certainly do all I can to resist any attempts to do so.

As the formal negotiations begin, along with my Cornish MP colleagues I will of course be doing my very best to ensure Cornwall gets the best deal possible from Brexit and look forward to working closely with colleagues both locally and in Westminster to achieve just that.


As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events