Wednesday 14 June 2017

Newspaper column 14 June - Looking back on the General Election

At June 8th’s General Election I was delighted and honoured to be re-elected as the Member of Parliament for St Austell and Newquay.

I was pleased at the result of my positive campaign, particularly that you, the people of Mid-Cornwall chose to vote for me in higher numbers, with a greater majority and share of the vote than in 2015.

Thank you to everyone who voted for me and especially to my incredible team and all those who volunteered to help my campaign, and a special thanks to my family and especially my wife Anne for her incredible support.

While nationally the result was not what we as the Conservative Party hoped for, I am pleased to be returned as part of a Conservative-led Government, as the Conservatives again won more seats across the country than all of the other parties put together.

It was also good to see Cornwall retaining its full complement of Conservative MPs and I am looking forward to working together with my colleagues as a continuing powerful shared voice for our county within Government.

It is important we get behind the Prime Minister as she leads our country into the crucial EU negotiations. That we press on now to make a success of Brexit both for the UK and also for Cornwall.

In the run up to the election International Trade Minister Liam Fox visited St Austell to discuss some of the exciting ways in which Cornwall could benefit from Brexit, including ‘phenomenal potential’ for our Cornish food and drink exports around the world once we leave Europe.

I am already back in Parliament and now the campaign is over and done with am back at work serving you to do my best, regardless of how you voted, to represent and serve your interests, both locally and as a strong Cornish voice in Westminster.

Looking to the future I am meeting this week with Cornwall Council to get an update on the progress of the crucial A30 link road to St Austell and the surrounding area, and will continue to champion the bid for Newquay to become the location of the UK’s Spaceport, as we await to hear news on their recent bid.

It has been a privilege to serve as your MP for the past two years and I now look forward to continuing to work for you over the coming years to make where we live a better place to live, work and grow up in.


As always, my team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events