Wednesday 29 November 2017

Newspaper Column for St Austell area newspapers 29 November 2017

The main news last week was the Budget Statement. There was lots of good news for Cornwall including positive changes to Universal Credit, more money for the NHS and cutting stamp duty for first time house buyers. However, there was also some great news locally for the St Austell area. The Budget included confirmation from the Chancellor that the Government would be providing £79m of funding for the dedicated link road from St Austell to the A30.

This is truly amazing news and represents one of the biggest investments ever in our transport infrastructure in mid-Cornwall. In my election campaigns in both 2015 and this year I said securing this funding would be my top priority for this area and I am delighted to be delivering on this commitment.

This road will provide a direct link from the A30 to St Austell - reducing the journey times and will bring massive economic benefits. In a consultation in 2012 this road was the number one priority for local businesses. It will also solve the problems residents of the villages of Bugle, Stenalees and Roche have been experiencing with heavy traffic going through their communities, particularly close to local schools,  using roads that were simply not designed for that volume of traffic In the run up to the General Election this year, these problems were the number one issue raised with me on the door in these communities and I am pleased, just five months down the line, to have delivered what I promised, and secured the funding from the Government to help solve this issue.

This is a road that many people have talked about for years and I am pleased to have finally got the ball rolling on it as your MP and as part of a Conservative Government. I am very grateful for the support of Cornwall Council officers, local councillors Sally-Anne Saunders and John Wood, as well as the St Austell Bay Economic Forum (SABEF) on behalf of the wider business community.

I have already met with the Head of Transport of Cornwall Council to discuss this news and keep the momentum going. We now have to go through the planning process and hope that construction will begin in 2019. Rest assured that I will be doing everything in my power to ensure this project goes ahead as soon as possible and we get the road built for the benefit of the whole community.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events